Monday, August 11, 2014


A little business first:  I've started an Instagram account for the blog to show the happenings of our day-to-day life here. You can find me at Come check out the fun!

I've completed quite a lot on the Autumn cross stitch. This week has been pretty awesome in that I've been able to devote at least an hour each day to cross stitching. Let's hope this streak continues!

Here's what I had done last week:

And here's where I am at this week: 
I backstitched the the center frame,added the sunflower and finished the corner square last night

A little closer look at the backstitching. 

I think it is coming out really well. I can't believe how fast it is going!

I did have to spend some time on Saturday and Sunday fixing my son's quilt. A while ago-maybe two or three months-his quilt desperately needed a wash (with that dark blue fabric all his drool stains just show up!). When I took it out of the washer I noticed the quilt top had sheared away from the batting and the backing in one of the corners. It was very strange. 

Not even sure how that happened!

Plus the seam where I had connected the two ends of the binding had frayed very badly as well-no picture for that one. Luckily the part where the quilt top was frayed was on the same side as the bad binding so I got out my trusty seam ripper and took out about six feet of binding. I still had some of the striped fabric and was able to add a little patch to the frayed part up in the corner.

I also had enough of the binding left over and was able to fix that as well. I even had enough time to re-attach all the binding!

However, as I was looking at the quilt top to see if there was any more damage I noticed that many of the nine patch squares had separated. Remember, this quilt was started at least 20 years ago and my mom said when she first started it she didn't really know all that much about making quilts or seam allowances.

There's about a dozen of these little separations. Bummer. 

She suggested we just dump the quilt and she make a new one for him but I don't think so! This gives us an opportunity to make something really awesome. I'm thinking we should appliqué various nautical patches onto the quilt: whales, anchors, boats, etc. I think that would make it really cute!

Alright, I've been a busy lady this week sewing-wise. Don't forget to check me out on Instagram and, if you haven't already, stop by and say HI on Facebook as well or comment below!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment