Friday, October 24, 2014

Halloween Costume: Dinosaur Part II

We all remember this ferocious beast, right?





Well, if you are going to be a dinosaur, you really need a tail! 

I've said it once and I will say it again:  I'm pretty sure I'm here in order to guide you to easy tutorials. This tail I had done before the sweatshirt--except for the stuffing part. 

The tutorial I followed can be found over here at Running with Scissors. She really walks you through the whole process and has great pictures showing you how to cut the fabric so it tapers down the end of the tail.

The only real issue I had was of my own doing: I attached the straps to the wrong side of the fabric, so when I flipped the whole tail inside out, you could see my seam allowance. I just folded it over and tacked it down and no one is the wiser.  
Duh!
I took her advice and made the scales out of felt-the same that matched the sweatshirt-but if I were to do it again I might have doubled the felt and sewn the triangles together in order to give them a little more heft. 


Unfortunately, MasterMind won't pose with the tail on for a picture. He keeps on saying, "after Halloween" and sometimes you just can't argue with a three-year-old. So here it is on my kitchen table. 

I also used snaps instead of velcro because that's what I had on hand. 




I like how the scales go from largest to smallest; I'm especially proud of that part. 


So, MasterMind's costume is done. Now it's on to Missy's!

Happy Sewing!
Kate



No comments:

Post a Comment