Friday, October 17, 2014

Let's Craft Some Hope!

Many years ago-only about six but it feels like twenty-I was a social worker of sorts. I worked for the Social Security Administration and administered a federal welfare program called Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

I can feel your eyes glazing over but bear with me.

You see, eleven-or-so years ago I graduated from college with a degree in Social Work and one in Theology. At the time I was pretty convinced I was going to go out there and set the world on fire. But, you know....life got a hold of me. Or maybe fear of the unknown---traveling to distant lands and helping others...even if that "distant land" was no farther away then the homeless shelter downtown.

Anyway, I ended up in the middle of Central Washington working for SSA. Don't get me wrong-I worked really hard and tried to help people as best as I could. But before long I was living in the suburbs of Seattle, married and waiting for the birth of my first child when I quit. I knew that my next role was to be a mom for awhile.

I kept on telling myself and others that I would start volunteering again and helping out but that has been just too hard for me to juggle. Having three little kids and a husband who works long hours to provide for his family has not left me a lot of spare time to run off and feed the hungry.

Don't get me wrong: this is no pity party for me or a longing for a "what if" kind of life. Who knows? Maybe my time to set the world on fire wasn't in my 20's but may be in my 50's or 60's. Maybe I'm raising children who will change the world.

What does this all have to do with crafting? I'm glad you asked.

My friend saw something on Facebook and tagged me to see it.

You see, there's this lady named Jade. She's married. Works outside the home. Has four kids. Well, I will let her use her own eloquent words to describe what CraftHope is:

Craft Hope started with 29 pillowcase dresses and one mom's idea that everyone can make a difference. Craft Hope is a love inspired project founded in 2009 by Jade designed to share handmade crafts with those less fortunate. It is our hope to combine our love for crafting and the desire to help others into a worldwide phenomenon. 
Since our beginning we have collected and distributed over a hundred thousand handmade items to charitable organizations worldwide. We have formed partnerships with incredible charities that work in the heart of communities that need love the most. 
We have encouraged people, families, groups, and communities to get together and craft for the greater good. We might not all have money to give, but we have time. And time is one of the greatest gifts you can give someone.  Source

She has 24 projects behind her where she has helped distribute handmade goods to people in dire situations all over the world. She does this all from her own kitchen. She's kind of my super hero right now.

Anyway, her 25th project is partnering with We are Kenya to provide quilts, reusable sanitary napkins, scarves and hats to the children of Soweto, Kenya. When I read her post about asking for help, I knew I had to act. She only needed 25 twin size quilts. I made a comment on her blog and she emailed me a couple of days later saying she would love it if I made a quilt for her Project25.

I knew exactly what fabric I wanted to use. I had a jelly roll filled with blues, pinks and greens that is just so happy. As I have cut and sewn the fabric my kids keep on asking me who we are making this quilt for; so I show them the pictures of the children from the We are Kenya website and we talk about how children live all over the world: that not all children have a warm blanket at night, so we will make one. That not all children have food in their bellies every night, so we feed them. That some girls only have one dress, so we clothe them. ("Is it at least a rainbow dress?", asks my oldest daughter.)

I am so happy to have an opportunity to use the talents I have been blessed with to share with others.

Here's the finished quilt top, all that is left is to quilt and bind it.





Happy Sewing,
Kate

Don't forget, you can always follow along on Facebook here, Instagram here, and Twitter at @SewingByLottery . 

1 comment:

  1. That's beautiful Kate. Mother Theresa said we all do what we can and we all can do something - starting with the person next to us. <3

    ReplyDelete